Thursday 10 November 2011

Santiago!!



I walked into Santiago on Friday the 14th October at about 3 in the afternoon fully expecting a red carpet, rose petals, trumpets and the bishop (no less) to greet me after my long and arduous journey! What a let-down it was. Nobody even knew that I arrived!!

Traditionally, the Pilgrims Journey ends with a walk up the stairs to the Statue of St James but there were so many tourists in the cathedral and a long line waiting to go up the stairs. Oh!! The disgust I experienced when I saw them all with a newly bought staff with gourd and shell. This was being sold just outside the gate into the cathedral and I felt a self-righteous annoyance because these tourists had no idea of doing a pilgrimage and yet here they are strutting around with their wooden staffs! Tut, tut, Willemien!! Judgements, judgements. . and I thought I was getting so good and not judging. I proceeded to the pilgrims office to claim my compostela. . and once again. . .no fanfare, no “Wow!! You walked all the way from St Jean??” Nada, nothing, niks, more disgust. . .This is obviously all in fun, but I did experience Santiago as very touristy.
Anyway, this was not a good moment for me so I decided to go and find my pension, book in, have a shower and just generally ease myself into the hustle and bustle of Santiago.
Santiago is very expensive compared to the more rural areas – paid 20 Euros for a plate of Spaghetti Bolognaise and a glass of wine! Buying my Euros with South African Rands obviously did not help! Beer with Lemon went from between 1.50 and 2.50 Euros to 4 Euros and coffee was also more expensive. I walked around Santiago (or rather limped), slept really well that night and set out to explore more of the city the next morning.
I could still not believe that I was in Santiago, that I have done it, that is is over!!

Amazed Peregrino

No comments: