Thursday 10 November 2011

Finisterra

When I started planning my pilgrimage I really wanted to continue from Santiago to Finisterra which was another 5 days of walking. However, my foot was not getting better, swelling down in the mornings and then very bad if I walked a lot during the day. The way to Finisterre had many little hills and valleys and I realised that the clever thing would be to take a bus - so, for all of you non believers out there,I am not as hard headed as you think I am!!!

I took a bus to Finisterre on Sunday the 16th of October and what a beautiful 3 hour ride it was. I might go back - big might - and walk this last bit for myself.

In the times of the Romans and Celts, Finisterre (called "finis terrae") was considered to be at the farthest edge of the north westerly land mass and was described as "the end of the earth" (in Latin, "finis terrae" means "end of the world"). Finisterre also possesses a reputation for being on "the coast of death", since many vessels have left the port, never to return.

I met the lovely Irishman Paul and spend the day on the beach with him. On the way back to the bus stop we met up with Eli and the two of us forged an immediate bond. Spent some time with her in Santiago. Finisterre is magical, the beaches are beautiful and sitting there I got this deep, deep longing for Bloubergstrand and everything South African.

The mist started rolling in as we left Finisterra and somehow I knew that my journey had come to an end. . not just the physical journey but also the inner journey. Sitting on the beach, I knew that I have found an inner peace that would not be easily disturbed by whatever life choose to throw at me when I go back.

Peaceful Peregrino

No comments: